Suranga Bawadi on World Monuments Watch List
- Suranga Bawadi has entered the World Monuments Watch List under the Ancient Water System of the Deccan Plateau of the World Monument Funds.
- It is situated in Bijapur, Karnataka.
- It is an integral part of the ancient Karez System by which water was supplied through subterranean tunnels.
- Suranga Bawadi was built in the 16th century by Adil Shah-I of the Adilshahi dynasty of Bijapur.
Indias first elephant memorial in Mathura
- India-based conservation charity Wildlife SOS unveiled the country’s first elephant memorial in Mathura.
- The memorial symbolises the sacrifice of these gentle giants who lost their lives while suffering brutality at the hands of humans.
- The memorial, 20 miles from Taj Mahal, was inaugurated by additional principal chief conservator of forests, UP K Praveen Rao.
India, China began joint training
- India and China began jointly training the second batch of Afghan diplomats as part of their efforts to work together for the development of war-torn Afghanistan.
- The two countries had decided to work together during the first informal summit between PM Narendra Modi and President Xi Jinping at Wuhan in April 2018.
- Ten diplomats from Afghanistan are participating in the course.
Munin Barkotoki Literary Award announced
- The Munin Barkotoki Memorial Trust has chosen young poet Ankur Ranjan Phukan and short story writer Monoranjan Bori for the Munin Barkotoki Literary Award 2019.
- They will be awarded for their manuscripts Khando-ta and Moh-jokh respectively.
- This annual award carries a cash prize of 50,000 rupees along with a citation and a plaque.
The 58th ISAM Annual Conference to be held
- Air Chief Marshal RKS Bhadauria will inaugurate the 58th Indian Society of Aerospace Medicine (ISAM) Annual Conference on 14 Nov 2019 in Bengaluru.
- It aims to address contemporary issues and applications in the subject of aerospace medicine.
- The theme for the conference for 2019 is ‘Changing Paradigms in Aerospace Healthcare’.
SBI revised India’s FY20 GDP forecast to 5%
- The economic research team from the SBI has revised India’s Gross Domestic Product(GDP) to 5% from its earlier estimate of 6.1% for the Fiscal Year 2020 (FY20).
- This downgrade was due to global slowdown in the index of industrial production (IIP).
- The SBI economic research team group has projected the second quarter (July-September) GDP growth at 4.2% in their report titled “EcoWrap”.
Dal Lake to be declared Eco-Sensitive Zone
- J&K has set up a 10-member committee to declare Srinagar’s Dal Lake and its surrounding areas as an eco-sensitive zone (ESZ).
- Pollution and encroachments have resulted in the Dal Lake shrinking from its original area of 22 square kilometres to about 10 square kilometres, according to an assessment by the Dredging Corporation of India (DCI) in 2017.
- The capacity of the lake has shrunk to 40%.
NASA detects huge X-ray burst from outer space
- NASA has detected a massive thermonuclear explosion coming from outer space, caused by a massive thermonuclear flash on the surface of a pulsar.
- The explosion released as much energy in 20 seconds as the Sun does in nearly 10 days.
- The X-ray burst, the brightest seen by NICER so far, came from an object named “J1808”.
National Capital Region -2041 conclave held
- Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs, Government of India, chaired the inaugural conclave on National Capital Region -2041 in Delhi on 11 November 2019.
- This conclave was organized by the National Capital Region Planning Board (NCRPB).
- The theme of the conclave was Planning for Tomorrow’s Greatest Capital Region.
India Pavilion at the ADIPEC inaugurated
- Union Minister of Petroleum & Natural Gas and Steel Dharmendra Pradhan inaugurated the India Pavilion at the Abu Dhabi International Petroleum Exhibition and Conference (ADIPEC).
- The India Pavilion has been set up by 9 Indian Oil & Gas companies along with Federation of Indian Petroleum Industry (FIPI), Directorate General of Hydrocarbons (DGH) and Confederation of Indian Industry (CII).
- Justice Amreshwar Pratap Sahi was sworn-in as Chief Justice of the Madras High Court. Tamil Nadu Governor Banwarilal Purohit administered the oath of office to him.
- All India Football Federation announced the appointment of Thomas Dennerby as the Indian head coach of the Women’s U-17 football team. He led the Sweden Women’s national team to finish third in the FIFA World Cup in 2011.
39th India International Trade Fair 2019
- 39th India International Trade Fair 2019 has begun in New Delhi.
- The theme for the 39th edition of the fair is ‘Ease of Doing Business’ inspired by India’s unique achievement of rising to 63rd rank on the World Bank’s Ease of Doing Business Index from 142nd rank in the year 2014.
- The Republic of Korea’ will be the ‘Focus Country’.
- Bihar and Jharkhand will be the focus states.
India to host SCO meeting in 2020
- India will host the 19th council of heads of government of the Shanghai Cooperation Organisation in 2020 in New Delhi.
- The SCO is a China-led eight-member economic and security bloc in which India and Pakistan were admitted as full members in 2017.
- Its founding members included China, Russia, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Tajikistan and Uzbekistan.
Swachh-Nirmal Tat Abhiyaan
- Union Ministry of Environment, Forest and Climate Change is undertaking a mass cleanliness-cum-awareness drive in 50 identified beaches under the programme called ‘Swachh- Nirmal Tat Abhiyaan’, from 11 -17 November 2019.
- The objective is to strive to make coastal areas across the country clean.
- It aims to create awareness amongst citizens about the importance of coastal ecosystems.
Iran discovered a new oil field
- Iran has discovered a new oilfield with 53 billion barrels of crude oil in Khuzestan province, home to Iran’s Khuzestan’s crucial oil industry.
- The announcement, however, did not reveal how much oil could be produced from the reservoir.
- The new oil field discovered is 2,400 square kilometres (925 square miles), with the deposit some 80 metres (260 feet) deep.
Gujarat CM launched an online registration portal
- Gujarat Chief Minister Vijay Rupani has launched an online registration portal to facilitate setting up of new MSME units.
- He approved the first online application through the portal and issued a certificate through an e-mail to a woman entrepreneur.
- Earlier, the State government had announced a waiver from approval procedure to MSME units for the first three years.
UP govt to felicitate GST payers
- Uttar Pradesh government will felicitate the top ten GST payers in each district and at the state level.
- Government has also decided to provide insurance of 10 lakh rupees to the registered GST payers in state and very soon there will be the provision of pension for them.
- State’s Target of GST collection this financial year is around 77640 crore rupees.
11.35 lakh Golden Cards issued under AB-PMJAY
- In the UT of Jammu & Kashmir, 11.35 lakh Golden Cards have been issued under Ayushman Bharat-Pradhan Mantri Jan Arogya Yojana (AB-PMJAY) till date, against the target of 31 lakh, which is the highest number in the country.
- The scheme aims at making interventions in primary, secondary and tertiary care systems, covering both preventive and promotive health, to address healthcare holistically.
Virat maintained top position in ODI ranking
- In Cricket, Virat Kohli and Jasprit Bumrah have maintained their top spots in the latest ICC ODI Player Rankings.
- Kohli is at the top of the rankings for batsmen, followed by Rohit Sharma.
- In the bowlers’ rankings, Bumrah maintained his top spot followed by New Zealand’s pacer Trent Boult.
- Hardik Pandya is the only Indian to feature in the top 10 among all-rounders.
President’s rule imposed in Maharashtra
- President’s rule has been imposed in Maharashtra.
- The state legislative assembly has been kept under suspended animation.
- The development came as the political impasse lingered on for 19 days after the assembly election results were declared.
- In the assembly polls held in Oct 2019, the BJP won 105 seats, followed by the Shiv Sena, 56, the NCP-54 and the Congress, 44 in the 288-member House.